History

 

The Trust is a direct successor to one founded in 1883. The original Trust established the Church of England Soldiers' and Sailors' Institute in Aldershot which provided off-duty servicemen with spiritual and recreational facilities including accommodation. As a result of competition from more modern facilities and a reduction in the size of the garrison, the Institute eventually closed its doors in 1971. The substantial freehold premises were sold the following year for 335,000 and the net proceeds passed to the present day Trust.

 

Chapel Window

  

Thus, some 127 years after its foundation, the successor body is continuing to provide welfare and support, albeit in a different form, to the Armed Forces of the Crown. With the reduction in the size of the Armed Forces and the consequential change in their organisation and structure, the Charity's Area of Benefit has expanded over the years to cover eight counties.

If you would like to find out more about the Trust's long and interesting history, please download our brochure (PDF).

Download Brochure